Just a short note to say that I appeared on the Level-up Engineering Podcast to discuss one-to-ones for a whole forty minutes! Who’d have thought you could talk about that subject for so long. Well, it turns out that you can.
We covered a lot of material, including:
- Why you do one-to-one meetings
- The ideal frequency
- Where to do them
- How to prepare and always have good material to discuss
- What makes bad one-to-ones
- How to deal with challenging personalities
- How they differ when talking to ICs or managers
- Walking versus sitting
- …and much more!
You can listen to it via the Coding Sans website, or via Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Google Podcasts. I had a lot of fun recording it, so hopefully that comes through into the listening experience.
If you’re interested in learning more about one-to-one meetings, then there’s an article on this website covering the basics, and some further material on keeping them fresh. It’s also something covered in detail in the book.